2004 Aug 14 08:39

Re: [vox-tech] Debian Unstable - apt strangeness

On Sat 14 Aug 04, 10:25 AM, David Hummel <dhml@comcast.net> said:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 08:15:32AM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > What dpkg _doesn't_ seem to know (until I actually install the
> > package) is -L,
>
> For packages not installed you can use:
>
> $ apt-file list package-name-pattern
>
> > and similarly, it won't be able to do a -S search either.
>
> $ apt-file search file-name-pattern
>
> -David

Sorry -- I wasn't very clear in that email.  I already know about
apt-file and wasn't looking for ways to list and search packages.  I was
trying to understand how dpkg and apt know what they know.  Matt
definitely explained a lot of the mystery, but I still have some
lingering questions I'm trying to figure out!   :)

Pete