2004 Aug 12 14:17

Re: [vox-tech] eth0 troubles

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 01:04:01PM -0700, Karalius, Joseph wrote:

> [...]

DHCP runs over UDP (when you run DHCP, the datagram has a source IP
address of 0.0.0.0, and uses a transaction number to identify which
host is intended to recieve and interpret the reply). This means that
DHCP is connectionless. You send out a packet, and hope for the best.
And you would have no way of differentiating the situation you see
here from situations where there is no DHCP server on the network, or
where congestion somewhere in the network causes your DHCPDISCOVER
request to get dropped by a congested router.

(Consequently, that's why DHCP makes several tries to connect - that
way if the first one meets with transient failure, then the others
have a chance of working)