2004 Aug 11 12:48

Re: [vox-tech] eth0 troubles

Quoting Karalius, Joseph (Joseph.Karalius@seminis.com):
> Quoting p@dirac.org:
> > Do you know what module is required for your Gigabit device?  That's the
> > first step.
>
> A thought:
> I can't test this on my other Optiplex GX270 running sarge (breaking that
> one for any length of time would surely get me fired), but if I
> removed/diabled the module for eth0, would the lights still come on?

To answer Peter's question (above), I googled for

    "Optiplex GX270" linux ethernet

...and found http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=details&hid=5543 ,
which includes:

   Component: Network Interface
   Comments: On-board Intel Corp. 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
        (rev 02)

Googling for

   82540EM linux

...one finds, as expected, that the correct driver is e1000.

rick@linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.