2004 Aug 11 12:18

Re: [vox-tech] eth0 troubles

Absolutely not.  That's why I said:

   "Whether the kernel knows what to do with the hardware or not, it
   should at least see a PCI ID."

Just because I tell you I have a Rubik's cube in my hand doesn't mean
you know what to do with it.

To state it mathematically, the kernel knowing the PCI ID of your device
is a *necessary* condition for the device to be functional.

It's simply not a *sufficient* condition for the device to be
functional.

> I downloaded some diagnostic software that I think is the right one, from
> the Intel Download Page
> (http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=All&st
> rTypes=DRV&ProductID=983&OSFullName=All+Operating+Systems&submit=Go%21)
>
> This file seems to be the right one according to the description, but the
> /Tools directory is missing, which of course is where the diagnostic utility
> is supposed to be
> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=Y&ProductID=9
> 83&DwnldID=4239
>
> I then googled around for DIAG1000, which seems to be the name of the
> utility I need and found a couple of versions that I can't be sure of
> http://support.buympc.com/apps/filelist.asp?ID=7073  DIAG1000.exe  This
> doesn't seem right
>
> Is there a standard tool for diagnosis, or do I need to keep looking for
> this one file?

Can't help you there.  But getting PCI devices to work on Linux is
usually very easy with the help of:

   1. Google
   2. The Ethernet HOWTO (if it's a network card/chipset)

Getting devices to work is basically:

   1. Get the name or chipset of the hardware.
   2. Google for the appropriate device driver.
   3. Compile the driver if it's not already compiled.
   4. Load the module.

Although I don't know much about your chipset, the fact that the light
doesn't come on is a very bad sign.

The fact that the kernel knows the PCI ID of the device is encouraging.

Do you know what module is required for your Gigabit device?  That's the
first step.

Pete