2004 Aug 11 16:25

Re: [vox-tech] DVD issues

dylan wrote:
Hi everyone,

I was recently messing about with DVD playback on linux, and was less than
impressed with the quality- i.e. playback was at about 75% speed. after some
googling i came to the conclusion that I had 2 options: 1 get a better video
card or 2, fix the DMA settings on the drive with hdparm... (the xv
extension to X11 was already installed)

the initial output from hdparm was as follows:
linux:/var/log # hdparm /dev/dvd
---------------------
/dev/dvd: HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq = 0 (off)
using_dma = 0 (off)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 1 (on)
readahead = 256 (on)
HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument
---------------------

i tried a couple of combinations of turning on DMA, as well as toggling the
other settings. Any setting other than the default lead to a non-functioning
DVD drive, and the following lines in /var/log/messages:
---------------------
Aug 10 22:40:00 linux kernel: hdd: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady
SeekComplete Error }
Aug 10 22:40:00 linux kernel: hdd: drive_cmd: error=0x04Aborted Command

I have ordered a new video card for this machine, as the integrated video is
awful. perhaps this will solve my problems. however, is it normal for a
modern DVD drive like this one refuse to accept DMA transfers?

How "modern" is it? Booting up a few machines lately, I've seen a kernel message about the cdrom (admittedly old) being "blacklisted" and therefore dma was set to be off.

On another list, I recently saw a long thread about dma not working for a dvdrw drive. The problem ended up being an improper kernel configuration, specifically the motherboard chipset drivers were not compiled into the kernel. From what I understand, hdparm is unnecessary other than a diagnostic tool as long as the kernel is correctly compiled for your hardware.

HTH,
Jonathan