2004 Aug 10 23:16

Re: [vox-tech] SSH question

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:02:07 -0700
"Matthew Lange" <matthewlange@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Wow...apologies for the bad posting...just my newbie-ness shining
> through, I guess.  Really, I had no idea.
>
> I always did wonder what mutt was for...just haven't had time to
> research it.
>
> If fact that brings me to another point (perhaps I should start
> another thread ;b --and maybe on the general list) and that is that on
> this list I see mention of a lot of technologies that I am unfamiliar
> with...and I would probably embrace them if I new what the heck they
> did.
>
> For you gurus, this may seem like a trivial point...but for folks like
> me who are "able but unaware", some sort of linux 'product' dictionary
> would be helpful.  Does anyone know of any online resource?  Perhaps
> LUGOD should have it's own...

For a great many linux software packages, there are several good places
to get a quick description of what they do:

http://packages.debian.org/
http://www.rpmfind.net/
http://www.freshmeat.net/
http://www.sourceforge.net/

I generally use `apt-cache search' (which is pretty much equivalent to
packages.debian.org on my Debian unstable box) and that tells me what I
want to know.

Google also helps.