2004 Aug 11 07:41

Re: [vox-tech] eth0 troubles

Quoting Karalius, Joseph (Joseph.Karalius@seminis.com):

> The lights don't come on the onboard gigE port of an Optiplex GX270 when a
> tested cable is plugged into a tested port. Intel 82540EM rev02 chipset.

Two ideas:

1.  Your running kernel may not recognise what PCI device this is,
because its PCI ID string may not be in your /usr/share/misc/pci.ids
file.  Good news:  You can always snarf the latest version of that file
from http://pciids.sf.net/ .  (I describe this in my laptop write-up,
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/inspiron7000.html .)

2.  Try a 2.6 kernel.  You mentioned Knoppix:  In 3.4 Knoppix releases,
you can boot a "knoppix26" kernel image at the lilo prompt, instead of
the default 2.4 kernel image.

If that doesn't work, it might indeed be defective.  You can download
diagnostic software for this chipset (for MS-DOS) from Intel's Web site.