January 6: Social gathering
2004 Aug 09 23:15

Re: [vox-tech] grub questions

on 04.8.9 5:11 PM, Foo Lim at foo@joshuatree.cs.ucdavis.edu was reported to
have writen:

> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> title  Windows NT/2000/XP
>> root  (hd1,0)
>> savedefault
>> makeactive
>> chainloader +1
>>
>> I'd like to put "boot" at the end of the Win2k stanza, but when I type
>> "boot" at the grub prompt, it tells me that the kernel needs to load
>> before booting (huh?).
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> Try something like this:
>
> title Win2K
> root (hd0,0)
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
> # For loading DOS
> chainload /bootsect.dos
>
> You might be missing the last line.
>
> HTH,
> FL

just a little curious how this is all working out... my upstairs neighbor
and i have been messing around with suse 9.1 on his machine. we installed
linux first, and then windows xp - and of course grub was removed from the
MBR. after re-installing grub we were able to boot to either windows or
linux from the boot menu. however, after a second install of winXP and grub
winXP refuses to boot from the grub boot menu... after selecting the windows
option a back screen comes up saying that the partition is not a bootable
partition... when in fact it used to be...

i am wondering if this is somehow related to the problems that peter is
having, and if there is some kind of MBR voodo that needs to be done in
order to fix both windows and grub -- so that they can co-exist...

dylan