2004 Aug 13 17:44

Re: [vox-tech] Firefox Returns To Top, Ebay

Re: [vox-tech] Firefox Returns To Top, Ebay

> With FF he is returned to the *top* of the first page.
>  With IE he is returned to the *current* item of
> interest.

Hmm... I don't know if mine does this right now, but let me suggest a
different usage mode that may make thing much faster.  I know you
said that opening the link in a new tab isn't any better, but I wonder
why?

When I'm sorting through a long list of items that I may be interested in.
I scroll down the list, and every time I see an item I'm interested in,
I right-click on it and select "open in tab".  When I get to the bottom of
the page I click on the "next page" link, and then go to looking through
the tabs I have selected from this page (closing each with ctrl/cmd/alt-W
when finished) and while I'm sorting through these items, the next page
of the list loads.  To make this really effective, I uncheck "Select
new tabs when opening from link" in the preferences, and then I don't
actually have to deal with the new tabs until I'm done with the list.

I find this usage mode means that I spend a lot less time looking at the
little spinning icon while a page loads.  (Broadband often just moves
the bottleneck out a few hops, as far as I can tell.)

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but IMHO, tabbed browsing
is reason enough to switch away from IE to Netscape/Mozilla/FireFox/Safari.
On those rare occasions when I have to use IE, I really miss it.

  -- Mitch