2004 Aug 10 05:39

Re: [vox-tech] grub questions

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 06:12:50PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Mon 09 Aug 04,  3:03 PM, Matt Roper <matt@mattrope.com> said:
> > On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 05:41:03PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > >    title		Windows NT/2000/XP
> > >    root		(hd1,0)
> > >    savedefault
> > >    makeactive
> > >    chainloader	+1
> > >
> > > I'd like to put "boot" at the end of the Win2k stanza, but when I type
> > > "boot" at the grub prompt, it tells me that the kernel needs to load
> > > before booting (huh?).
> >
> > I don't think you want "boot" at the end of Win2K because, despite
> > the appearance, GRUB does not really boot windows.  It doesn't know
> > anything about starting up the Windows kernel, so it just delegates this
> > responsibility the windows boot loader which is (in your example) on
> > the boot sector of (hd1,0).  The Windows boot loader then takes care of
> > figuring out what/where the Windows kernel is, how to launch it, what
> > filesystems to use, and other stuff like that.
>
> Sounds simple enough.  But how do I get the Win bootloader to do its
> stuff?  When choosing "Win2k" from Grub's menu list, I just get the grub
> prompt.
>
> Any idea how to get Grub to pass control to whatever is sitting in the
> MBR of (hd1,0)?

Your config already looks like it *should* be passing control to the
boot sector of (hd1,0).

I have no experience with SATA or its drive naming/numbering scheme so I
wonder if Grub could be numbering things differently than you expect.
Can you double check the mappings in /boot/grub/device.map?  Also, at
the grub prompt, try typing "root (" and then using tap completion to
select the drive and partition; that might give you some clues about
what Grub thinks it's loading.

Matt