2004 Jul 28 08:32

Re: [vox-tech] multiple OS's on one computer

Re: [vox-tech] multiple OS's on one computer

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
Hi all,

I'm planning a system that has a few different Linux distros that I want
to try, in addition to Debian. Seems like a good thing to have separate
partitions to share between them. First order approximation was:

/home
/usr/local
/boot

so all distros can share things like kernels. But then I realized /home
wouldn't do since different distros have different versions of this and
that, and therefore have different dot files.
Not sure why this would be a problem. Newer versions of programs are often backwards compatible with the config files that reside in /home. If not, usually the file changes names. Personally, I would want to share /home most of all.

So that leaves:
   /usr/local
   /boot

to share between distros.  I *was* thinking of making /usr/local FAT32
so it can be accessible under MS Windows if necessary.  But then I found
that there's an ext2 filesystem driver for MS Windows (wow!).  [1]
Also, FAT32 does NOT seem support symlinks, so this can be a major problem for some program functionality. It does store data just fine, so I often make a separate FAT32 partition to share between Windows and Linux on my dual boot computers. I haven't checked out reading ext2/3 in windows yet, but I have heard of it.

Lastly, I was toying around with the idea of installing bona-fide DOS
onto a partition to do some debugging of DOSEMU.

I was just wondering if anyone has done this kind of thing before, and
if so, had any helpful tips.

Pete

[1] At work, I have to use Outlook, and I'm absolutely miserable.  So
miserable that sometimes I'll open up gvim, compose my message, and cut
and paste into Outlook.

As an act of desperation, I did a Google search for "vim Outlook" and
found there's some kind of plugin for Outlook that gives you a vimish
editor to work with.  Definitely on my list of things to do.