2004 Jul 27 17:31

Re: [vox-tech] multiple OS's on one computer

On Tue 27 Jul 04,  1:08 PM, Karsten M. Self <karsten@linuxmafia.com> said:
> on Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 12:12:40PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org) wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm planning a system that has a few different Linux distros that I want
> > to try, in addition to Debian.  Seems like a good thing to have separate
> > partitions to share between them.  First order approximation was:
> >
> >    /home
> >    /usr/local
> >    /boot
>
> Note that if you share /boot, you'll want to manage kernels from only
> one OS.

I totally spaced on that.  Yeah.  Thanks!

> Another option is to use UML to boot different distros, also avoiding
> the need to reboot.
>
> Depending on finances, an 80 - 300GB drive can be had for a $100+,
> and should avoid the need to reboot while providing an adequate (6-10
> GB) allocation per distro for a pretty full-fleged install.  Handle the
> systems as images.
>
> You can use networking to access other drives (/home, /usr/local) from
> the UML systems.

*whistle*

Haven't thought about UML.  And I DID want to play around with it at
some point.

> > So miserable that sometimes I'll open up gvim, compose my message, and
> > cut and paste into Outlook.
> >
> > As an act of desperation, I did a Google search for "vim Outlook" and
> > found there's some kind of plugin for Outlook that gives you a vimish
> > editor to work with.  Definitely on my list of things to do.
>
> Depending on how your Exchange server's set up, you can access it via
> POP3 and/or IMAP.  This should allow you to use the Linux mailer of your
> picking.  The tough part is tracking down your user authentication.
> See:
>
>     http://twiki.iwethey.org/Know/ExchangePop3Authenticationo

I'll check it out.  I had no idea that Exchange used POP3...

Thanks!
Pete

--
In theory, theory and practise are the same.  In practise, they aren't.