2004 Jul 26 20:49

Re: [vox-tech] VNC - awesome!

On Monday 26 July 2004 06:25 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>    Whenever I buy an ethernet card, it always says 10/100 Mb/s.  It's
>    always been "fast enough".  I did some tests.  I created a 50MB file:
>
>       $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/blah  count=100k
>
>    and used scp to transfer it to another machine.  Transfer speed is
>    pretty much pegged at 1.1 - 1.2 MB/s

That seems pretty slow for a 100 Mbps network.  I tried a
quick test here, creating a 100 MB file on the web server:

$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=trash.bin bs=1024 count=100K

and then fetching it over the local network with wget:

$ wget http://livepenguin.com/trash.bin

and got 11.21 MB/sec.  I also have a D-Link (DSS-5+)
switch.

Perhaps your use of scp comes with a lot of CPU overhead?

-- Rod