2004 Jul 25 21:31

Re: [vox-tech] On my boxes, Windows is outperforming Debian innetwork speed

Re: [vox-tech] On my boxes, Windows is outperforming Debian innetwork speed

Don't put 127.0.0.1 as any of the name servers.  Your problem probably has
to do with something else.  Please tell us more about the symptoms.

-Mark

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Issac Trotts wrote:

> On my laptop, the networking is noticably faster when I boot in Windows
> (XP).  It is a shameful situation.  The networking is also painfully
> slow on my Debian desktop computer.  Both are connected to a Netgear
> wireless router, one by wire and the other by wifi.
>
> On the desktop computer I have improved the speed in the past by messing
> around with some name server caching stuff, but now it's back to being
> slow for some reason.  I have bind installed, and my /etc/resolv.conf
> looks like this:
>
>     search
>     nameserver 127.0.0.1
>     nameserver 63.217.0.5
>     nameserver 63.216.0.6
>
> I inserted the 127.0.0.1 by hand and ran /etc/init.d/bind restart but it
> didn't help noticably.  Not sure if it the line in resolv.conf will get
> automatically removed when I reboot...
>
> There's some program that tells you which nameserver is being used to
> resolve names, but I don't remember its name right now.
>
> Any assistance would be much appreciated.
>
> Issac
>
> --
> Issac Trotts
> Programmer, NIMH Human Brain Project