2004 Jul 25 09:08

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Mark K. Kim (*****@cbreak.org):
[snip]
> > In addition to downloading the kernel source, you may need to download the
> > kernel headers.
>
> No, you don't!   This misconception keeps being promulgated because of
> the way things used to be done, but you should leave your headers alone
> and leave /usr/src/linux the way your installer left it -- if your
> installer created it at all, which the Debian Woody installer does not.
> (There's no /usr/src/linux on Debian unless you make one, and you really
> shouldn't.)
[snip]

Well... ::scratching my head:: ... That's true for user-level
applications, but I'm not sure if it's true for kernel-level modules,
which I think is what Ashleigh needed to compile before she decided to get
a real modem.  Kernel-level modules need to communicate with the kernel,
so it should have kernel's type structures, therefore the kernel's
headers.

If that's incorrect, then the NVidia people needs to get their acts
straight 'cuz their proprietary X server requires /usr/src/linux/include.

In either case, it doesn't hurt to have kernel headers in the kernel
source directory.  If the application uses it, then it uses it, and I'm
sure there's a reason for using it if the programmers knew what they were
doing, and if it doesn't use it, then it doesn't use it.

BTW, something to ponder:

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim