2004 Jul 25 00:24

[vox-tech] On my boxes,Windows is outperforming Debian in network speed

[vox-tech] On my boxes,Windows is outperforming Debian in network speed

On my laptop, the networking is noticably faster when I boot in Windows
(XP).  It is a shameful situation.  The networking is also painfully
slow on my Debian desktop computer.  Both are connected to a Netgear
wireless router, one by wire and the other by wifi.

On the desktop computer I have improved the speed in the past by messing
around with some name server caching stuff, but now it's back to being
slow for some reason.  I have bind installed, and my /etc/resolv.conf
looks like this:

    search
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 63.217.0.5
    nameserver 63.216.0.6

I inserted the 127.0.0.1 by hand and ran /etc/init.d/bind restart but it
didn't help noticably.  Not sure if it the line in resolv.conf will get
automatically removed when I reboot...

There's some program that tells you which nameserver is being used to
resolve names, but I don't remember its name right now.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Issac

--
Issac Trotts
Programmer, NIMH Human Brain Project