2004 Jul 24 22:41

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Quoting Rick Moen:

Oh, everyone has opinions.  ;->  Mine are a little out of date on the
current state of video, because, one, I don't buy often, and two, I
couldn't care less about whizbang 3D graphics features that are all the
rage among people truly impassioned about these things.[1]

I too am not in need of 3D - I don't play games at all. This is why I thought I'd skip getting the graphics card and figured I'd be fine with the integrated graphics - I just need X to run Lyx (LaTeX frontend), mozilla, OpenOffice, and Ximian Evolution - just about everything else I do is at the command line.

I'm still working my way through the rest of Rick's graphics comments to figure out what to do - I only ruled out upgrading to Sarge for the moment because I don't have it on CD (bought Woody from aboutdebian.com) and I don't have a modem to apt-get it with! Maybe I should solve the modem problem (i.e. buy a real dang modem!) and then I'll have download options for the graphics issue.

Thanks again!

Ashleigh