2004 Jul 24 14:55

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Quoting Rick Moen:
You might wonder:  What's the advantage to Intel's video chip design
(i810, i830, i845, i850, i852, i855, i865, i915, etc.), given the
disadvantages?  Well, it reduces costs (and thus has become very common
in the "home PC" market, where price is paramount).  That's about it.

Thanks for all the input Rick - I'm learning a lot!

I'm sorry if I haven't been providing all the relevant information - I've been a little overwhelmed by everybody's helpfulness and often have to google around quite a bit to find out how to answer all of the questions posed here!

You asked about my XFree86: dpkg -l shows that I just lists 1 main package that I can see: xfree86-common 4.1.0-16woody1 X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure". There are other related packages but I guess that those are all for the same X package I have (things like xserver-xfree86 4.1.0-16woody1 the XFree86 server...).

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that you and others have suggested, and that is that I should bail on this Intel 82845G graphics card and just get another one. Jonathan Stickel posted a message yesterday about getting a 64 MB Nvidia card - do any other people (Rick?) have opinions/suggestions on a video card?

Next up: shutdown (and unplug!) and open up my cpu to find the true nature of the modem (a la Rick's instructions)!

Ashleigh

Ashleigh B. Smythe
Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Nematology