2004 Jul 24 09:38

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Mark K. Kim wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Ashleigh Smythe wrote:

I managed to install and activate a later kernel from my woody CD as
you suggested Rick, and now uname -r shows that I am running kernel
2.4.18-686-smp (I wasn't really sure which of the pentium IV 2.4
kernels to choose so I took a shot on that one).  Nothing seems to
have changed with respect to the video card or modem - tried various
combinations of things in the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-x86 tool for
the video card problem and have run pppconfig also to no avail.

Any kernel that ends in "-smp" is for computers with more than one CPU
inside the system unit.  This is probably NOT the version you want...

Maybe, maybe not. I've "heard" that P4s with hyperthreading need an smp kernel to actually use the hyperthreading. However, my wife tried an smp kernel on her work P4 with HT, and it didn't seem to change anything. Take home message fore me: buy AMD64 if you want top performance in Linux.

Jonathan