2004 Jul 24 07:42

Re: [vox-tech] X

On Sat 24 Jul 04, 12:22 AM, Mark K. Kim <lugod@cbreak.org> said:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
>
> > About the modules, I do have /System.map which links
> > to /System.map-2.6.7 . In /var/log/syslog are these entries:
> >
> > Jul 22 22:02:33 gwaihir2 kernel: Loaded 28020 symbols from
> > /System.map-2.6.7.
> > Jul 22 22:02:33 gwaihir2 kernel: Symbols match kernel version 2.6.7.
> > Jul 22 22:02:33 gwaihir2 kernel: No module symbols loaded - kernel
> > modules not enabled.
>
> Your System.map has to be the one that was created when you compiled
> the kernel.  Which kernel are you running? (check with `uname -a`).

nick, i'll try making a suggestion even though my last suggestion was
ignored.

syslog says: symbols were loaded from system.map, and they match the
current kernel.  the problem is almost certainly elsewhere.

besides, system.map has absolutely nothing to do with loading modules
other than the fact that if you built a kernel with module capability,
evidence of that capability would be in the system.map file.  [1]

some things to check:

1. are you SURE modules are enabled in your kernel?  the message says,
   quite literally, that "modules aren't enabled".  i've never built a
   kernel without module support, but i suppose you could do something
   like "strings system.map | grep init_module", perhaps.   also check
   your .config (you may have a /proc/config or something like that).
   you need to fill in the details because i'm not yet running a 2.6
   kernel.

2. when you made the kernel, are you sure you did "make modules && make
   modules_install"?   look in /lib/modules and make sure everything you
   think should be there, is indeed there.

3. this COULD be a bug in klogd.  do an lsmod and see if there are any
   loaded modules.

4. if there are no loaded modules, try loading one by hand.  anything.
   doesn't matter which one.

pete

[1] WOW.  i'm now top ranked on a google search for "system.map linux"!

--
In theory, theory and practise are the same.  In practise, they aren't.