2004 Jul 24 06:14

Re: [vox-tech] X

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Nick Schmalenberger wrote:

> So now vesafb works. I got firefox to work, installed with apt-get. I
> just had to fiddle with /etc/apt/sources.list some more. Firefox still
> seems better than Mozilla, but it still does the scroll-ahead thing
> sometimes.

Glad you got that working.  But vesafb does make X slow, and will forever
do that until you get the proper accelerated X server for your video card.
Vesafb is like a generic thing that will work on most video cards but is
really slow... it's a trade-off between compatibility and capability.
Sorry... =(

> X still does the dark thing if I switch back to it from
> a different virtual console. It is dark right now, but I can still see
> what I'm doing.

That's good... although if it still goes dark at times, then the problem
isn't quite fixed, and the previous problem might come back at some point.
Sorry... =(

> Also, I can't start any programs in X that would run in
> an Xterm. I suppose that that has to do with the X upgrade. The X server
> says that 4.3 is prerelease.

Try another `apt-get dist-upgrade`.  Sometimes X and Xterm has to match up
on versions.

> About the modules, I do have /System.map which links
> to /System.map-2.6.7 . In /var/log/syslog are these entries:
>
> Jul 22 22:02:33 gwaihir2 kernel: Loaded 28020 symbols from
> /System.map-2.6.7.
> Jul 22 22:02:33 gwaihir2 kernel: Symbols match kernel version 2.6.7.
> Jul 22 22:02:33 gwaihir2 kernel: No module symbols loaded - kernel
> modules not enabled.

Your System.map has to be the one that was created when you compiled
the kernel.  Which kernel are you running? (check with `uname -a`).

> (I couldn't paste those three lines in X because I can't get an
> Xterm, so I grepped them outside of X to a textfile and read that
> with firefox. The regexp I used was [Ss]ymbol . That is the first
> time I've really used regexps and I feel clever now.)

=D

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim