2004 Jul 24 01:26

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Quoting Jonathan Stickel (jjstickel@sbcglobal.net):

> FWIW, I have a Conexant winmodem in my laptop and previously had it
> working in linux.

Just to go over the prior posts a bit:  Ashleigh said this about his
modem:

     2.  I can't get the modem to even attempt a dial.  It is a 56K PCI
     Telephony modem (internal) but a friend called Dell and they insist
     it is not a winmodem and that it should work.

Lacking any other data to work from, I figured Ashleigh meant that
"Telephony" is part of the device's model name -- and so searched for
that + "modem" + "56K PCI", and found a series of references to the US
Robotics series of PCI non-winmodems I spoke of, earlier.

At the time, I thought it was a little odd that a manufacturer would
bundle a US Robotics genuine modem with a home PC, because generally
that market's all about shaving costs, so one expects to see throwaway
Agere (Lucent), Conexant, PC-Tel, Intel, or ESS PCI winmodems -- not the
real thing, and not something from US Robotics.  But it seems I leapt to
a too-optimistic conclusion.