2004 Jul 23 16:25

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip

{grumble}  Typo.

> I used to have a clever little script to compensate for this by parsing
> the output of "lspci" (using awk) for the current information at each
> boot-up, and adjusting the setserial command accordingly -- but it was
> just for one particular US Robotics manual.
                                      ^^^^^^

Should be "modem".

Here it is, pro bono publico:

#!/bin/sh
## Configures /dev/ttyS2 serial port for a US Robotics PCI modem
DEVICE=$(lspci | grep "US Robotics" | awk '{print $1}')
IRQ=$(lspci -v -s $DEVICE | head -n 3 | tail -n 1 | cut -d ' ' -f 5)
PORTS=$(lspci -v -s $DEVICE | head -n 4 | tail -n 1 | cut -d ' ' -f 4)

echo US Robotics modem is at IRQ $IRQ
echo ...and the base of the I/O port range is $PORTS

setserial /dev/ttyS2 port 0x$PORTS irq $IRQ autoconfig

This was written for a US Robotics Sportster model 5610 PCI faxmodem,
but obviously can be adapted for other PCI non-winmodems.

Also, assuming your Zip drive is on a parallel port, insert the disk
_first_, then run something like:

#!/bin/sh
insmod parport
insmod parport_pc io=0x378 irq=none
insmod ppa

Then, on a suitable mountpoint such as /mnt/zip, mount /dev/sda4 (which
is what the Zip filesystem will always be, on an otherwise-IDE-based
system).