January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jul 23 10:24

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip

Wow!  Thanks for the quick responses!

> I don't think you need the files from Intel.  There's an
> i8-something-or-rather video driver you can use for most Intel onboard
> graphics cards. Try that.

Yes, there was an i810 but that didn't work either.  None of the iXXX
worked.

> dmesg should say where the modem is, if it detected one.  Its IRQ and port
> assigned automatically if it's a PCI card, so you'll need to find out what
> those are, too.  `setserial` is helpful in detecting existance of a serial
> port controller on a tty port.
>
> Having said all that, check your `dmesg` and try ttyS2 and ttyS3 as well.

I'll try this when I go home for lunch - I'm at work (UCD) now.

> > 3.  Finally, in trying to configure an old Iomega zip100 drive, the
> > debian.org howto says to append the following line to
> > /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:
> >
> > # Enable the Zip drive
> > /sbin/modprobe ppa  # imm for recent models
>
> As I recall, "ppa" is for parallel-port Iomega Zip drives only.  If you
> have a SCSI or USB version, I think you need another way.
>
> -Mark

It is a parallel-port zip, and I have it connected in betweent the
printer and the parallel port - haven't tried to get the printer
configured yet.  I'll try Ken's suggestion of adding ppa at lunch.

Thanks for the tips - I'll get back later today.

Ashleigh