2004 Jul 23 10:24

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Ashleigh Smythe wrote:

> 1.  I can get the Xserver to start but only with the resolution and
> color depth very low.  My graphics card is an integrated Intel 3D AGP
> card (Intel 828456) and it is not listed in the set-up choices so I
> chose vga at the suggestion of the aboutdebian.org installation
> tutorial I was following.  I think I got the correct driver for my
> card from intel (intelgraphics_060704) but the README instructions
> are only for the .rpm version of the file - there is no indication of
> where I should put the file or what else I need to configure to get
> it to work.

I don't think you need the files from Intel.  There's an
i8-something-or-rather video driver you can use for most Intel onboard
graphics cards. Try that.

> 2.  I can't get the modem to even attempt a dial.  It is a 56K PCI
> Telephony modem (internal) but a friend called Dell and they insist
> it is not a winmodem and that it should work.  I followed several
> tutorials that showed me how to configure ppp by editing
> /etc/ppp/peers/provider and /etc/chatscripts/provider but I'm not
> sure I know which ttyS my modem is on so I kept trying /dev/ttyS0 and
> /dev/ttyS1 but still no dialing.  When I type pon and the plog I get
> "pppd 2.4.1 started by root" and then pretty much all the abort
> messages from the provider files: abort on busy, abort on no carrier,
> abort on voice, abort on no dialtone, send(ATZW2^M), expect (OK).
> Sorry I can't post the exact message - can't connect from that
> machine!  How can I find out where my modem is (what serial port it
> is on)?  A friend was helping me and he thinks that may be the
> problem.

dmesg should say where the modem is, if it detected one.  Its IRQ and port
assigned automatically if it's a PCI card, so you'll need to find out what
those are, too.  `setserial` is helpful in detecting existance of a serial
port controller on a tty port.

Having said all that, check your `dmesg` and try ttyS2 and ttyS3 as well.

> 3.  Finally, in trying to configure an old Iomega zip100 drive, the
> debian.org howto says to append the following line to
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:
>
> # Enable the Zip drive
> /sbin/modprobe ppa  # imm for recent models

As I recall, "ppa" is for parallel-port Iomega Zip drives only.  If you
have a SCSI or USB version, I think you need another way.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius