January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jul 22 21:29

[vox-tech] user -l

lewis, i'd be careful with that lazy umount.  it may or may not cause
trouble.

next time the problem happens, do this:

   $ ps aux > processes.txt
   $ su
   Passowrd: secret
   # fuser -k /dev/hda1

replace "hda1" with whatever partition you're trying to umount.  fuser
will kill all non "D-type" processes that have file descriptors open on
the filesystem.  It'll print out the PID of the processes that it
killed, and you can grep for them in your "processes.txt" file to see
what the hang-up was.

maybe the hang-up was unimportant, but maybe not.  at the very least
you'll KNOW, beyond a shadow of a doubt, why the filesystem isn't
umounting.

fuser is a resource that anybody who (pretends to) wear a sysadmin hat
should know about.

hth,
pete

Thanks pete ... yes, know about fuser, but I guess I was -l myself ;->

BTW, 3M now makes a "super-sticky" post-it note and they are that. I know that they sell solid sheets of the other post-it material. Perhaps if they do you can use it for a label.