2004 Jul 22 09:23

Re: Knoppix dma (Re: [vox-tech] X crash, Mozilla)

Re: Knoppix dma (Re: [vox-tech] X crash, Mozilla)

Mark K. Kim wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

Not sure why, but Knoppix doesn't use dma by default for ide devices;
maybe because old hardware doesn't support dma and will hang.

Umm... are you sure?  I think it does not enable DMA only if it doesn't
recognize the IDE controller as one that supports DMA.  That's the default
behavior for Debian, RedHat, and Mandrake also.

I'm very sure. At least that's what I've found using Knoppix on several "new" computers (>1ghz). I have to enter "knoppix dma" or I get no dma and it's very slow. You can see the dma option (and others) by pushing F2 at the boot prompt.

And it is surprising because I know DMA is on by default in all major distributions and other linux boot cds I've tried.

Jonathan