January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jul 22 10:00

Re: [vox-tech] X crash, Mozilla

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> On Wed 21 Jul 04, 11:40 PM, Mark K. Kim <*****@cbreak.org> said:
[snip]
> > Try FVWM.  It's better in every aspect, including the required memory and
> > stability.
>
> eeeks, not my understanding at all.  details?  i can't imagine anything
> more light weight than twm.

I read it somewhere, but now that I think about it I think it was MWM, not
TWM.  Nonetheless, FVWM used to (probably not now) have smaller footprint
than TWM: http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/faq/#1.6

Note that FVWM (version 1) vs. FVWM2 issue is an interesting one, so from
certain perspectives you might consider them to be two separate window
managers, like in the above URL.  I won't go into the details here.

> could be both.  i've always thought that mozilla was dog-slow.  i don't
> have patience for mozilla.

Mozilla *is* slow, but the scrolling problem exists in other applications
in unaccelerated video card setting.  Even in the graphical Vi (gvim.)

> also you _don't_ need an accelerated graphics card for web browsing.
> the term "accelerated" means that the graphics card does certain types
> of calculations for common 3D functions.  i doubt that any of that comes
> into play when rendering 2-D web browser window.
>
> the issue of "high dot-clock" is separate from "accelerated video card".
> basically, any new-ish video card will have a high dot clock, and that's
> what you need for speedy 2D video.

Maybe.  But I used to use Diamond Stealth S220 video card and it was
really slow.  I read in the X documentation and found that acceleration
wasn't supported yet.  It was "yet" for many years until I got tired and
got a Voodoo 3.  Maybe that's not a problem for newer video cards as far
as 2D acceleration is concerned... but it seems like to me it was an issue
for older video cards.

> > Your slow Mozilla and your console freezing problems may be related.  It
> > seems like you're using a vesa frame buffer as your graphics device, in
> > which case you can end up with both of these symptoms.  As soon as you get
> > the proper graphics driver, both of your problems will go away.  But
> > that's assuming there's a driver available for your graphics card.
>
> that's a great guess -- it never would've occured to me.  how did you
> think of that?   :)

Just a past experience with slow X, and a glitchy console system.  Both
problems were related to the X server so I figured it's a improperly
supported video card... frame buffer is just a guess, since many platforms
fall back to frame buffer if it can't find a supported X server.  But it
could be a bad (or beta) implementation of an X server module.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius