2004 Jul 22 09:23

Re: [vox-tech] X crash, Mozilla

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Nick Schmalenberger wrote:

> Sometimes when I switch from a text virtual console to X the computer
> will freeze It will respond to Ctrl-Alt-Del. Other times, the screen
> will just be darker than usual, but I can still do things. I lost some
> data last night and again today because of the freezes.

Try booting with the "vga=normal" parameter.  Like, type "linux
vga=normal" at the bootloader screen.  You can do that several ways, and
it depends on which bootloader you use (Lilo or Grub, most likely), so...
let us know if you need more help on how to do that.

But looking at your Mozilla problem, I'm thinking this may not be the way
to fix your problem.  So hold off on tackling this problem until you fix
the Mozilla problem.  If you try to fix this problem without fixing the
Mozilla problem, you may end up with a non-working X.  So for now, don't
switch over to the console, and work on the Mozilla problem.  Read the
last paragraph in this e-mail for more information.

> Once today X
> just crashed back to the text console where I started it, and so I
> restarted X. What can I do to make X more stable?

Upgrade... I guess is the best answer.

> Twm is my window
> manager if that is important.

Try FVWM.  It's better in every aspect, including the required memory and
stability.

> The only bad thing I can see in
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log is:
> PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M

I don't see that crashing the system.  Anybody else think otherwise?

> (BTW, I
> had to type that in by hand because I don't know how to copy text
> between windows in X. Is twm just not capable of that?).

To copy, select & highlight text with the left mouse button - it goes into
the "clipboard" automatically.  To paste, click the middle mouse button
wherever you want to paste the text.  Believer it or not, people used to
Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V love the X's way of copying & pasting more than the
traditional keystrokes.  (Actually there's no such thing as clipboard but
for simplicity let's not go into how all that works for now.)

> Secondly, in Mozilla when I am going up or down in a page or backspacing
> in a form, Mozilla will keep going for a while after I let off the key
> if I had been holding for a while. I imagine this is because the
> interrupts have sort of piled up because they are being processed by
> Mozilla slower than the key is sending them. Dillo and less do not do
> this. Why is this and what can I do about it?

It's not Mozilla that's slow, but it's your graphics card software (the X
Window module for your graphics card) that's slow.  You need an
accelerated graphics card with accelerated X server software.  What's your
graphics card, and which X driver module are you using? (The video card
type should be in your computer manual, and your driver software info
should be in your /var/log/XFree86.0.log... just attach the whole thing if
you can't find it).

Your slow Mozilla and your console freezing problems may be related.  It
seems like you're using a vesa frame buffer as your graphics device, in
which case you can end up with both of these symptoms.  As soon as you get
the proper graphics driver, both of your problems will go away.  But
that's assuming there's a driver available for your graphics card.  Good
luck!

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim