2004 Jul 21 23:10

Knoppix dma (Re: [vox-tech] X crash, Mozilla)

Knoppix dma (Re: [vox-tech] X crash, Mozilla)

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
<snip>
another thought about your X problem:

get yourself a copy of knoppix and live with it for awhile.  just long
long enough to convince yourself of either one of two things:

   1. yes, the X problem persists with knoppix.

   2. no, the X problem went away with knoppix.

once you're sure of which statement is true, post back to the mailing
list and let us know.

Not sure why, but Knoppix doesn't use dma by default for ide devices; maybe because old hardware doesn't support dma and will hang. But without it, Knoppix can be a frustratingly slow experience. When you get the knoppix boot prompt, type "knoppix dma" before hitting enter to enable dma.

Just thought I would share this since Knoppix has been getting mentioned a lot on this list lately.

Jonathan