2004 Jul 17 22:02

Re: [vox-tech] dhcp, other

On Saturday 17 July 2004 09:28 pm, Nick Schmalenberger
nschmalenberger-at-fastmail.fm |lugod| wrote:
> list,
> Like I said before, I got pump to work, and I also tried dhcpcd. The
> documentation for pump and dhcpcd indicate that they are daemons, and I
> don't know why. Shouldn't pump just run just at boottime or whenever
> else the user wants? At specific times. So why should it be a daemon? I
> can understand for the server, but why for the client? Supposedly dhcpcd
> stands for dhcp client daemon, so I know I don't have that confused.

The DHCP client is a daemon because it must stay in touch with the DHCP
server, so that the DHCP server knows not to re-assign the leased IP address
to another system.

Having the DHCP client as a daemon also allows the administrator to make
changes to the network configuration without having to reboot all network
clients.

Also available at http://www.XXXXXXX/~ryan/ryan_at_mother_dot_com.asc