2004 Jul 17 10:37

[vox-tech] Help: my c and e keys don't work anymore.

[vox-tech] Help: my c and e keys don't work anymore.

My "c" and "e" keys stopped working in xterms on X.   They work just
fine on the console, so it's not a hw issue.  The only things that
happened recently:

1. My system froze this morning.  Required a reboot and fsck.  No
   "really bad" error messages were printed, just the usual "zero dtime"
   stuff.

2. I apt-get upgraded.  Can't remember what got upgraded last, but I
   don't think it was X related.

That's about it.  I tried restarting X (I'm ashamed to say I even tried
rebooting).  X is receiving an event for these keys.  The output of xev
for "e" is shown below (including the output for "r" to compare it with
it with a working key):

   KeyRelease event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0xc00001,
       root 0x58, subw 0xc00002, time 368034, (45,50), root:(49,408),
       state 0x0, keycode 26 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
       XLookupString gives 0 bytes:  ""

   KeyPress event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0xc00001,
       root 0x58, subw 0xc00002, time 368342, (45,50), root:(49,408),
       state 0x0, keycode 27 (keysym 0x72, r), same_screen YES,
       XLookupString gives 1 bytes:  "r"

so SOMETHING is happening.  In addition, I killed X and started it again
as a different user.  The "e" and "c" keys still didn't work.  So
whatever happened is global.

This is an area of X I know very little about.  Can someone please help?
"c" I can live without (although I do miss ctl-c), but I need my "e" key
very badly!  :)

Thanks!
Pete

--
In theory, theory and practise are the same.  In practise, they aren't.