2004 Jul 15 12:21

Re: [vox-tech] SSH Auth keys via PuTTY

Bill Kendrick wrote:
On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 11:11:15AM -0700, Ken Herron wrote:

Putty's keyfile format isn't compatible with ssh's authorized_keys format.
Load the key into puttygen, then look at the box labelled
"Public key for pasting into authorized_keys file".
That's what you need to send to the other admin.

Ah, I see.  (Though it's labelled: "Public key for pasting into
OpenSSH authorized_keys file", but I assume that's it).

I'll try sending it!

You should have access to your home directory and the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file on the server. That would seem a little weird to me if you didn't.

Anyway, I use putty sometimes at work, and I've often lazily wondered about using auth keys. Since I have both a Linux and an OS X box in easy reach, I never bothered, but just for kicks I decided to give what you're trying a go.

I fired up PuttyGen and created the public key. Saving the public key didn't work; I did have to copy it out of the dialog box like Ken suggested. I put it in a text file and FTPed it over to the server. I then SSHed into the server and did a:
cat mydsakey.pub >> .ssh/authorized_keys

Then I went back to PuttyGen and generated the private key, which I loaded into Putty as you described in your first post.

Wow, I've been using Putty for a while, and I never knew about PuttyGen.
Cool...