2004 Jul 11 20:24

offlist: Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo installation by NFS?

offlist: Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo installation by NFS?

Henry House wrote:
På söndag, 11 juli 2004, skrev Bruce Wolk:
[...]

Generally, the install process goes like this (for stage 3):
1) boot to a shell (from cd, floppy, or network?)
2) prepare disk partitions (e.g. fdisk); reboot if necessary for partition tables
3) mount partitions
4) acquire (e.g. download) the appropriate stage 3 root snapshot
5) untar the snapshot onto what will be your new root partition
6) chroot to your new root partition
7) continue installing via gentoo commands and tools (emerge stuff)
[...]

Jonathan's method will work--I just did essentially the same thing on my server, an old 500MHz Pentium III with 128MB. Apache, mysql, and php are just purring along. Take a look at

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml

Thanks, Bruce and Jonathan! I will report how it goes after I finish. I ran
into a new snag: the floppy drive does not work! I think either the drive or
the cable are defective. But fortunately the machine has a working PXE
bootrom that can load Linux via ethernet.
I took a spare floppy and cable from you the other day. I haven't used either yet, so let me know if you would like them back!

Jonathan