January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jul 11 09:48

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo installation by NFS?

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo installation by NFS?

Jonathan Stickel said the following on 07/09/04 13:19:
Although I have only installed Gentoo off of the Gentoo-install self-booting CD, I think you can install from anything that gives you a shell with enough tools. The gentoo disk provides binary snapshots of installation files, but these can be downloaded directly instead. I recently saw a report of installing gentoo after booting off of KNOPPIX.

Generally, the install process goes like this (for stage 3):
1) boot to a shell (from cd, floppy, or network?)
2) prepare disk partitions (e.g. fdisk); reboot if necessary for partition tables
3) mount partitions
4) acquire (e.g. download) the appropriate stage 3 root snapshot
5) untar the snapshot onto what will be your new root partition
6) chroot to your new root partition
7) continue installing via gentoo commands and tools (emerge stuff)

HTH,
Jonathan

Henry House wrote:

Does anyone know how to install Gentoo using an NFS mount instead of a CD? I
am keen to try installing Gentoo but my only spare machine lacks a bootable
CD-ROM. The logical first step would seem to be a rescue floppy, but a few
minutes searching on Gentoo's site and the 'Net turned up no such item.
Jonathan's method will work--I just did essentially the same thing on my server, an old 500MHz Pentium III with 128MB. Apache, mysql, and php are just purring along. Take a look at

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml

By the way, don't forget to mount proc like I did on my first attempt!

Bruce