2004 Jun 30 10:44

Re: [vox-tech] Canonical collection of kernel compile error codes?

Re: [vox-tech] Canonical collection of kernel compile error codes?

På tisdag, 29 juni 2004, skrev Richard Burkhart:
[...]
> I'm working with 2.4.26 kernel source -- patched up from 2.4.20, because I
> have to keep existing Win4Lin patches.  I ran each patch, and then ran 'make
> oldconfig' each time to apply the new changes and bring my config file
> forward into the next patch.  Then ran the compile and went to sleep (cause
> on an AMD K6-2, the compile probably takes all night).

That is a good start.

> The compile bombed out at the point listed below.
>
> My questions:
>  a) Any suggestions, from the errors listed below, of what I did wrong?

See the following.

>  b) Is there a site listing kernel compile error codes, with suggestions on
> how to fix things?  I've searched on google, trying to find the error, and
> turned up nothing.

Not really. The errors in this case came the C compiler, not from the kernel
build system (which is just a glorified wrapper that invokes GCC).

You could look at the GCC manual page if you are really interested, but you
will not find any information specific to compiling kernels there.

> Thanks!
>
> _____cut/paste_____
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/home/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-tr
> igraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpr
> eferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=k6   -nostdinc -iwithprefix
> include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=swap  -c -o swap.o swap.c
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/home/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-tr
> igraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpr
> eferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=k6   -nostdinc -iwithprefix
> include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=vmscan  -c -o vmscan.o vmscan.c
> vmscan.c: In function `swap_out':
> vmscan.c:339: error: `priority' undeclared (first use in this function)
> vmscan.c:339: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> vmscan.c:339: error: for each function it appears in.)
> vmscan.c:339: error: `gfp_mask' undeclared (first use in this function)

Errors like this mean that there is something wrong with the C code that you
are trying to compile. In this case, I suspect that the patches that you are
using are to blame.

Just to make sure, I recommend running 'make clean' then trying the compile
again. In my experience, compiling a new kernel in a source tree that has
previously built object files occasionally causes strange errors.

--
Henry House