2004 Jun 25 22:12

Re: [vox-tech] Components of a FreeBSD Minimum Install [OT]

Re: [vox-tech] Components of a FreeBSD Minimum Install [OT]

Yes, thanks :) I have gathered that, but I was wondering what is included in this set of "userland" and is there an easy way (automated) to gather the information about the versions of the software installed instead of finding each command and then appending -v or -V? Or is there a place that I am missing that lists these packages and versions?

For instance, FreeBSD 5.2.1 comes with:
gcc 3.3.3
OpenSSH_3.6.1p1
grep (GNU grep) 2.4d
A version of the core utilities

Dan Hurt

David King wrote:
A minimum install installs no packages, just the base system. The base system is what "FreeBSD" is, unlike Linux it is not just a kernel, but an actual set of userland, too.