2004 Jun 28 02:22

[vox-tech] Network question re: domain on LAN

[vox-tech] Network question re: domain on LAN

While trying to install SuSE 9.1 Pro on my desktop the other night, I had
a big problem connecting to the Internet.

I have a DHCP server on my router, but I've set up my Linux boxes to
retain their own IP addresses: 192.168.1.110, 192.168.1.113, and
192.168.1.120, for example.

When setting up networking for my new SuSE box, I put in the following:

Disable the DHCP client
HOST NAME:  seamus
DOMAIN:
IP ADDRESS:  192.168.1.110
SUBNET MASK:  255.255.255.0
DEFAULT GATEWAY:  192.168.1.1
DNS1:  206.13.31.12
DNS2:  206.13.28.12

...which is pretty much the same setup as on my Debian box and on my FC1 box.

Note that I have no entry for the DOMAIN field.  Since I don't have a
domain name pointing at my IP address, I've never actually put anything in
that field.  However, when trying to install SuSE, I can't move past the
network setup screen until I put a value in there.  I've tried putting in
dummy values, and the values of the domains that I own (mossroot.com,
stonegoose.com).  I've also tried putting in the workgroup name that I use
for the computers on my system that are hooked up with Samba.  However, I
cannot get networking to work under SuSE.

My question is:  have I done something wrong by not putting in a value for
DOMAIN for my other computers?  Or is SuSE expecting something that is
inappropriate to my setup?

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)