2004 Jun 23 15:28

Re: [vox-tech] Easiest way to calculate date in 100 ns increments?

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, emily wrote:

> I need to be able to convert dates from a human readable format
> (something like YYYYMMDD) to a number in hundred nanosecond intervals
> starting from Jan 1 1601 as 0.
>
> I hope that makes sense. Anyways, for example, 12th Dec 2003 translates
> to 126871488000000000.
>
> Anyone know a nice easy way to do it?

Do you need to be able to represent dates between 1601 and 1970?  Most
computers can't internally represent dates before 1970, so there are most
likely no "nice easy" ways (no one straight-forward algorithm) in any
platform or system.  At least September 1752 will need some tweaking (it
has missing 11 days due to historical reasons, but I think only in
England-origin calendars - other calendars skip 11 or more days in other
months -- see
http://users.skynet.be/sky60754/genealbe/hulpwetkalverhe.htm#Calendar%20Change%20Dates
)

Having said that, `date` is a nice tool for converting from human readable
format to hour/minute/sec/nanosec if you're scripting, and the source is
freely available if you're using C!

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim