2004 Jun 22 13:13

Re: [vox-tech] Anyone running a mail server on a dynamic IP?

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 12:09 pm, Brian Lavender wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 04:19:03AM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> > Well I use Postfix.  I believe the rough equivalent with
> > that would be something like amavisd-new which runs
> > SpamAssassin "internally", using the "before queue content
> > filter" which Postfix introduced with release 2.1.  I don't
> > know anyone who has tried this combination yet.
>
> Well, does Postfix do the following?!!! This mail was rejected at the
> SMTP layer.  This way, the sender doesn't think he sent it. If the mail
> had been accepted, it would have returned a code 500. If I had tried to
> bounce this spam, it would have gone to some unknow domain "gandalf".

Postfix's built-in spam controls (such as RBL checks)
operate like this.  In the past, for 3rd party filters like
SpamAssassin you had to accept the mail first; but if you
use the above-mentioned "before queue" interface, you can
presumably invoke stuff like SpamAssassin and ClamAV while
the SMTP connection is still active.

Thanks for the detailed info!

-- Rod