2004 Jun 22 12:09

Re: [vox-tech] Wireless range

Rod Roark wrote:
Speaking of wireless networking - what kind of range are
people getting within a house or office building?  I
understand line-of-sight is important, and obviously you
won't have that between different rooms.

Also, any comments on using 802.11 in a hospital?  I know
many hospitals ban cellphones, but have no idea how bad the
RFI from wireless networking might be by comparison.

Thanks,

-- Rod

I don't think I have Bill's ascii art skills to do a diagram of my house, but it's a 1940s, 3 bedroom, 1200 (ish) square foot house. The WAP sits centrally (basically) located in the middle bedroom. I can sit anywhere inside the house and get a comfortable signal. I can go about 5-10 feet into the backyard (about 20 feet through one interior and one exterior wall) and there is a spot where the signal just drops. The front yard is about the same, maybe a little better. Since our front yard is little, somebody could definitely park in the street and get a reasonable signal. If we lived in a bigger house, I don't think I'd be completely happy, but for what we need right now the performance is very good.

My parents live in a much older house. The walls are made of real plaster laid up on chicken wire, which is very sturdy compared to our plaster-board walls. This makes a big difference because with a similar wireless setup, you can't get to far from the WAP in their house - maybe 20 feet, if there aren't too many walls or corners in your path.

So in my experience, your degree of unobstructed line of site isn't critical, but has an effect depending on wall materials.