2004 Jun 21 17:43

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Two questions regardless Wireless 802.11b

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Two questions regardless Wireless 802.11b

Quoting Dave Margolis (margolid@ecs.csus.edu):

> You want WEP.  Even though it's a "broken" encryption scheme, you want to
> use it.

My own solution is, oddly enough, the same I apply to wired LANs:
Assume the network is insecure.  I got into this habit when I lived in
the same building as an Internet cafe[1], and shared a T-1 line and
ethernet hubs with the cafe's Linux hosts.

I carry host keys (and gpg keys, etc.) on my USB flash drive so that I
don't have to trust the DNS to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks, and
use encrypted transport when/if I want privacy across the network.
Works for Me.<tm>

> My suggestion is use mac filtering AND wep AND ssid hiding.

My house's WLAN uses MAC filtering and ssid hiding (not my idea) but no
WLAN-level crypto.  In theory, a drive-by spammer could impersonate a
registered MAC address and operate at the end of my driveway -- until I
come out brandishing my baseball-bat LART.  ;->

[1] Mirror:  http://linuxmafia.com/coffeenet/

--
Cheers,                    I've been suffering death by PowerPoint, recently.
Rick Moen                                                     -- Huw Davies