2004 Jun 21 13:41

Re: [vox-tech] Cloning a drive?

ME said:

> # mkdir /new
> Now, in the "/new" create the mount-points for the mounted volumes. If
> /boot was /dev/hda1 then # mkdir /new/boot and then make the first
> partition of the new disk mount to that mount point with "mount" (see man
> page) The "/new" shoudl resemble the old disk's mounted volumes.

For example, if we assume /dev/hda1 is /boot, /dev/hda2 is /, and
/dev/hda3 is swap and the "new" drive is a secondary slave:
# mkdir /new
# mount /dev/hdd2 /new
# mkdir /new/boot
# mount /dev/hdd1 /new/boot

Order matters. Lower partitions must be mounted before child dirs can be
created and stored on the parent volume.