January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jun 17 08:32

Re: [vox-tech] Anyone running a mail server on a dynamic IP?

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 10:42 pm, Ryan wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 June 2004 10:15 pm, Rod Roark rod-at-sunsetsystems.com
>
> |lugod| wrote:
> |
> > Seems like most of the spam that I (and thus LUGOD) are not
> > successfully filtering out these days is from dynamic IPs -
> > dialup, cable modem, and dynamic DSL.
> >
> > So I'm wondering if it's reasonable to refuse mail from
> > servers that connect directly from a dynamic IP.  Is anyone
> > here running such a server?  And if you are, are you finding
> > that many sites are refusing your mail?
>
> Running a mail server directly off a dynamic IP (or in a block listes as
> 'dynamic') is generaly unusable in my experiance, as many major ISPs and
> companies block such mail.

From what basis are you making that statement?  I have run my own mail server
for a good 18 months now, and out of all the emails I have sent, I have only
had two addresses block service from me.

> Those who block dynamic IPs in this manner say that you should relay
> through your ISP's SMTP server, but this can be a problem if your ISP's
> mail server is unreliable.

Ironically, I had many more email servers refuse connection to my ISP's email
server before I did this.  Several sites used to block attbi.com a bunch, and
THAT was annoying.

Mike

--
wenk@praxis.homedns.org