2004 Jun 22 17:39

[vox-tech] mysql experts?

This is a FreeBSD system, but it's standard MySQL (mysql Ver 12.22 Distrib 4.0.20, for portbld-freebsd5.0 (i386)). This morning, a user of my network told me that "the internet is down." Quick inspection of the machine revealed that the WinXP box had failed to receive an IP address from the DHCP server, the machine in question. I plugged a monitor into it (since I now couldn't boot another unix machine that required NFS and couldn't talk to it from a windows box) to reveal a screen full of errors, most of them saying "no room left on device" or "not enough inodes." A quick df -i revealed that indeed, /var had no inodes left, which is weird since it usually sits at about 6% inodes used (obviously dhcpd couldn't write out the new lease file because it had no inodes left, explaining the internet "being down"). du -d2|sort -n revealed that 95% of the inodes used were in /var/db/mysql, and a directory listing revealed several thousand files named innodb.status.???? where ? is a number from 0-9. I've noticed that past few days that mysql, while sitting idle, has been taking up as much as 30% CPU, and I can't track down why it would be doing that. It seemed to be created about one every twenty seconds, without even querying the database! Here's an example:
root@melchoir:/var/db/mysql# while true; do sleep 60; ls inno*|wc -l; done
5
8
12
16
19
23
26
30
34
37 ^C
Obviously, this is a bad thing. A typical innodb.status.???? looks like this:
root@melchoir:/var/db/mysql# cat innodb.status.1959
040614 20:55:02 INNODB MONITOR OUTPUT
Per second averages calculated from the last 16 seconds
SEMAPHORES