2004 Jun 23 15:13

Re: [vox-tech] open webmail

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 02:37:43PM +0100, Milver S. Nisay wrote:
> hello there pluggers.
>
> anybody can advise me on any good webmail system that works with POP3/SMTP?
> i would like to know any other fast webmail has a fast capability to
> read bulky email mbox other than
> squirrelmail or openwebmail .
> thanks in advance.
> //milver

That all depends on what you mean by "works with". If you mean that a
user can access their email either via POP3 or via webmail, then
virtually any webmail system will work. My personal favorite is
Squirrelmail (which I see you don't want), and I've heard good things
about IMP.

Also, the speed of the system typically depends more on the speed of the
IMAP server than of the webmail. The webmail program doesn't deal
directly with mbox files (or Maildir, etc.); instead, it talks to an
IMAP server which deals with the mbox files. If your webmail program is
too slow, try switching IMAP servers.

On the other hand, if you mean that you want a webmail package that uses
POP3 instead of IMAP because you don't have an IMAP server, you'll
probably not have much luck. POP3 really isn't designed for that sort of
thing at all; it's far too basic. POP3 is good for one thing only:
downloading mail. Even simple things like multiple folders are beyond
its capabilities.

--
Samuel Merritt