2004 Jun 13 07:48

[vox-tech] Help please with alsa sound andGentoooolalaolalaoooooolala

[vox-tech] Help please with alsa sound andGentoooolalaolalaoooooolala

I have a new Gentoo installation as the result of 2.4 days of work with Jonathan. We are down to some fun things: sound for example. Listen to my new mantra, "Compiling is good for you. Gentooooo Ohmmmmmmmmmm".

Sound problems are severe. Hardware is fine as sound is OK in WinDoz. It has worked well once in latest Gentooo when Jonathan was over here. Now, he's gone and silence prevails.

We have alsa drivers installed. Computer is a 2.8 GHz P4 with an SOYO MOBO with an onboard AC97 Codec.

Occasionally, but not consistently, nor often. I can get the KDE arrival noise to work. Loud.

Occasionally, but not consistently, nor often. I can get the error noises when I crash into margins and things in Word Perfect to work.

Occasionally, I can see Realplayer 8 playing the sound from a .ram feed in both Konquerer and Mozilla , but not consistently, nor often. Real player easily an consistently gets the header parts of the Real sound feed, but it doesn't flip over to the sound decoding on the second part. The sound is downloading fine. Real may be handling it, but nada comes out.

Does anyone understand Alsa? How can I be sure I have the correct driver for a AC97 board? What are my alternatives? I have most every box in KMIX checked, no muting, and every bar up. Same in the ALSA mixer, except the mix and mono buttons are not checked.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, DIck ELy