2004 Jun 10 08:23

Re: [vox-tech] question on auto-running a program

* Richard Ely (dick@davis.com) wrote:
> I have a recent Debian Distro.
>
> I have an "always-up" DSL connection thanks to Jonathan (thanks Jonathan!!)
> through a router.
>
> When I log onto my machine as user, I am not connected because I have to
> "ifup eth0" as su.
> So I can change to su.  type "ifup", then exit back to user.  Not efficient.
>
> I want my son to use this machine and I do not want him to be su.  How can
> I have the system always issue that command as su on boot-up no matter who
> logs on?

If it's Debian, there should be a script in /etc/init.d that is
symlinked to a script in rc3.d (though when I went looking for it, I
couldn't find it).  That's what you need - a small script that says
"ifup eth0". Give a sequence number in the 90s, well after the one that
enables iptables.  You may also want to put the module for your
ethernet card into /etc/modules so it gets loaded immediately.  If you
don't have it built into the kernel, and have not put the module into
/etc/modules, doing that may solve the problem.

Good luck

Cam

--
Cam Ellison  Ph.D.  R.Psych. #01417