2004 Jun 10 22:24

Re: [vox-tech] question on auto-running a program

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 04:47:55PM -0700, Richard Ely wrote:
> I have a recent Debian Distro.
>
> I have an "always-up" DSL connection thanks to Jonathan (thanks Jonathan!!)
> through a router.
>
> When I log onto my machine as user, I am not connected because I have to
> "ifup eth0" as su.
> So I can change to su.  type "ifup", then exit back to user.  Not efficient.
>
> I want my son to use this machine and I do not want him to be su.  How can
> I have the system always issue that command as su on boot-up no matter who
> logs on?

It sounds like all you need is a slight modification to your
/etc/network/interfaces file.  Check the contents of that file and, if
not already present, add a line that says:

    auto eth0

somewhere near the top of the file.  That will cause your eth0 interface
to be brought up automatically without a manual ifup command.  You can
find out more about the format of /etc/network/interfaces by running
"man interfaces"

Even though you don't really need it here, it's worth noting that the
'sudo' program is a great way of allowing specific users root access for
a specific command or set of commands (and it has a lot of other
benefits over 'su' also).  You can install sudo with

    apt-get install sudo

Hope this helps.

Matt