January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jun 07 02:32

Re: [vox-tech] sendmail+spamassassin

Milver S. Nisay said:
> hello there.
> anybody can guide me to useful link on settiup up sendmail + spamassassin.
> my sendmail works fine. my spamassassin installed successfully.
> my problem is it seems that sendmail does not know that spamassassin is
> existing therefore
> spamassassin is not working together with sendmail. anyone?
>
> i have RH9, sendmail-8.12.8-9.90, sendmail-cf-8.12.8-9.90 .

Wrote this in another post by another user who asked the same question
several weeks ago.

First:
Know that spamassassin is a filter for marking messages as spam/nonspam.
It will do nothing to sort them into different folders.

Second:
for sorting messages, you can use a program like procmail to help
determine where to place incoming mail based on a regex serch pattern for
each message. Tools like this permit you to control the storage location
of a message based one things like:

     autolearn=no version=2.62

Many people will filter based on the line:
as the rest of the content may not be configured for printing.

Third, assuming your spamassassin is not actually marking your spam as
such, you will need to choose how you want it to work.

Perhaps you will use a single server and site-wide config, maybe you will
call spamc on a per-user basis from within procmail. (Se post from a few
days ago on a sample /procmailrc where spamc is called thisway against a
running and configured spamd)

That is the basic info on getting it to work.

HTH

-ME